RE: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: STEFFL, ERIK *Internet* (SBCSI) ("STEFFL,)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 22:49:41 EEST

  obviously, it has to be better. I think you can make the same argument in
all other areas where opensource software is used and IMO it will be
successfull in multimedia apps for the same reason it is successfull in
other areas - the user is in control. that's what everybody likes - from joe
to disney (they are switching to linux, you would think the big corp like
them can afford to pay for window, yet price is one of the reason they are
changing, not the only one of course). the fact that it's free makes it more
convenient then non-free to work with it (support!) and to get upgrades -
note that apart from paying for upgrades it's usually not that easy to
upgrade non-free apps (because of different mindset), even less easy when
you want to pirate it (you have to a friend who has the software, get it
from warez sites etc., not hard but not as easy as apt-get dist-upgrade).

  that said I have to admit we're not there yet, I am just trying to get
soundblaster live! to record something (audio) and it just doesn't:-) but
the inmportant part is that it works a lot better then it used to recently -
most of the reports that I read are pleasantly outdated - most of the stuff
they list as not working already works.

        erik