Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 17:23:47 EEST

On Saturday 22 June 2002 15.38, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, David Olofson wrote:
> > Actually, I have to agree, although it's not as simple as "XMMS
> > is bad". There are two parts; the GUI and the window management.
> > XMMS messes with *both*, for no good reason, and it doesn't even
> > result in a good user interface. The bypassing of the window
> > manager is just stupid and pointless in this case, and has XMMS
> > integrate poorly no
>
> Maybe. I really like its "window snapping" behavior.

I like window snapping as well, but I like KWM's version better. It
doesn't really lock windows together; it just help you aling windows
edge-to-edge very quickly, and that's just the way I like it.

And KWM's snapping works for all apps. Well, short of XMMS, that is...

> And I think
> the intention was to make it as similar to winamp as possible.
> Based on that, they've done a pretty good job.

Yes indeed, but I think they should have aimed a lot higher than
emulating the WinAmp API when they were at it... :-)

Granted, WinAmp actually improves (some) things on the window
manegment side on Win32 - but that's just because the Win32 WM is
completely useless.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`---------------------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/maia/ -'