Re: [linux-audio-dev] Desktop Environments in the World of Pro Audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Desktop Environments in the World of Pro Audio
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_wava.com)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 23:03:18 EEST

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 15:41, Andy Wingo wrote:

> A reason to have the file selector dialog at the "desktop lib" level
> would be to allow the user to enter in a URI somehow, for use with a VFS
> abstraction -- I think they are KIOSlaves in KDE, gnome-vfs in gnome.
> I'm a G* man myself. This is still hypothetical in gnome :/

This is one of the major strengths of KDE *vis a vis* GNOME at present --
objects on the Internet can be accessed just as if they were local. The
application doesn't even need to be aware of the differences, as the library
just deals with it. Of course, trying to play 24 channels of PCM data at 96
kHz through a dialup connection might give less than satisfactory results...
:)

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Salem Radio Labs |
| Voice: 1-(540)-341-2880 | 87 Lee Highway, Suite 11 |
| FAX: 1-(540)-341-7176 | Warrenton, VA 20188 |
| There is more to life than increasing its speed. |
| -- Mahatma Ghandi |