Re: [linux-audio-dev] Desktop Environments in the World of Pro Audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Desktop Environments in the World of Pro Audio
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_wava.com)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 23:15:44 EEST

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 14:31, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> > particularly the whole issue of user interface consistency across
> > multiple apps.
>
> In the audio world there is quite a string move away from this. Witness all
> the cool custom GUI plugins on Win32 and Mac.

You're right, and frankly, I hate it. It's plain silly to have to spend time
teaching production people how to use the new whatever-it-is-whizbang-thing
because it's author chose to use a "cool custom GUI" instead of the stylebook
standard. It might be boring, but there is a reason why stylebooks exist.
One of the main roles of DEs is to enforce those stylebooks. Perhaps the
strange UIs have a place in the consumer world, but I like to think that the
pro audio people can avoid that.

Whew...got that off my chest...sorry for the rant...

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Salem Radio Labs |
| Voice: 1-(540)-341-2880 | 87 Lee Highway, Suite 11 |
| FAX: 1-(540)-341-7176 | Warrenton, VA 20188 |
| I looked out my window, and saw Kyle Petty's car upside down, then I |
| thought "one of us is in real trouble". |
| -- Davey Allison, on a 150 mph crash |