Re: [linux-audio-dev] Desktop Environments in the World of Pro Audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Desktop Environments in the World of Pro Audio
From: nick (nixx_AT_nixx.org.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 23:42:31 EEST

I do get the feeling that desktops are not really well geared for audio
work - theyre just too heavyweight these days - especially nautilus et
al. on the GNOME side.

Ideally, you'd use very a lightweight WM (black/fluxbox?).
For serious audio work you wouldnt really want an email/IM/whatever
client eating your CPU cycles in the background. would you?

> > Help Systems: I've said here, and others have agree with me, that
> > these are invariably either useless or close to useless.
> > The best help system seems to come from getting a decent
> > HTML browser to view a well-written HTML documentation
> > package. Its true that GNOME and KDE come with simple
> > and nicely encapsulated ways to do this that work along
> > with the user's preferred browser.
>
> I agree they're useless as many developers choose to (mostly not) implement
> them. Properly used, they can be quite valuable.

I would have to argue that they are definitely useful in any reasonably
complex program.

Watching my brother (ok, not very scientific!) use fruityloops to write
his music made me realise this : he's constantly using the help because
not everything is intuitive on these programs.

Of course, ultimately the most important thing is the quality of the
documentation - something which doesn't really get the attention it
deserves on (nearly?) all OS projects - because
(a) coding is more fun, and most of us are doing this as a hobby
(b) those who write software have a knack for understanding it too -
    something the general public does *not* have..
Of course, I am guilty of this too.. ;-)

Yes, a good html document in a web browser is fine, but personally, i'd
hope that a good help browser would be more lightweight than a whole
webbrowser and therefore more suitable. although this doesnt seem to be
the case with yelp (not fair really since it's not finished)

oh, ONE MORE RANT:

Why are all the (major) sequencer projects built on Qt/KDE? i count
MuSE, Rosegarden and Anthem all on QT. Personally i'd much rather a GTK
sequencer, i'm sure others would like the choice too.

nick->end_rant();