Re: [linux-audio-dev] Desktop Environments in the World of Pro Audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Desktop Environments in the World of Pro Audio
From: Richard Bown (bownie_AT_bownie.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 10:51:50 EEST

nick wrote:
> Why are all the (major) sequencer projects built on Qt/KDE? i count
> MuSE, Rosegarden and Anthem all on QT. Personally i'd much rather a GTK
> sequencer, i'm sure others would like the choice too.

For Rosegarden it's because we enjoy using Qt - it's stable and it's
mature and it's easy to extend. It's well documented and it lets us
quickly prototype ideas and it doesn't bite us in the ass all the
time.

This isn't to mean we haven't considered other options. Indeed RG4
_was_ going to be a gtk app. Guillaume (http://www.telegraph-road.org)
used to develop gtkmm - part of the intention being to eventually use
it for Rosegarden. In the end he gave up:

"I got involved in gtkmm because of Rosegarden : we had choosen it to
 write our GUI. [..] In retrospect, my only regret is not to have done
 it earlier, as Qt/KDE has quickly proven to be an excellent C++
 development framework, way superior to what gtkmm/gnomemm is or could
 ever be."

Both Chris and Guillaume were really pulling for gtk. It just never came
off. When the decision was made to move to KDE/Qt I trusted their judgement
as I was just glad to being doing anything that wasn't Xt/Xaw!

I've got to say that we've never looked back. Perhaps now the situation has
changed somewhat but if we'd have waited around then we'd be behind the
game now. Is that kind of tradeoff worth it?

http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden
http://www.bownie.com