[linux-audio-dev] soft synth as a plugin

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] soft synth as a plugin
From: nick (nixx_AT_nixx.org.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 00:08:14 EEST

Hi all

I've been scratching my head for a while now, planning out how im going
to write amSynthe (aka amSynth2)

Ideally i don't want to be touching low-level stuff again, and it makes
sense to write it as a plugin for some host. Obviously in the Win/Mac
world theres VST/DXi/whatever - but that doesnt really concern me as I
dont use em ;) I just want to make my music on my OS of choice..

Now somebody please put me straight here - as far as I can see, there's
LADSPA and JACK. (and MuSE's own plugins?). Now, I'm under the
impression that these only deal with the audio data - only half what I
need for a synth. Or can LADSPA deal with MIDI?

So how should I go about it?
Is it acceptable to (for example) read the midi events from the ALSA
sequencer in the audio callback? My gut instinct is no, no, no!

Even if that's feasible with the alsa sequencer, it still has problems -
say the host wanted to "render" the `song' to an audio file - using the
sequencer surely it would have to be done in real time?

I just want to get on, write amSynthe and then everyone can enjoy it,
but this hurdle is bigger than it seems.

Thanks,
Nick