Re: [linux-audio-dev] soft synth as a plugin

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] soft synth as a plugin
From: Likai Liu (news_AT_likai.net)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 00:27:26 EEST

>Even if that's feasible with the alsa sequencer, it still has problems -
>say the host wanted to "render" the `song' to an audio file - using the
>sequencer surely it would have to be done in real time?

Somehow timidity++ manages to do midi wavetable in many ways. it can
play a midi file, render a midi file to a wave output, sit and listen to
alsa sequencer for events, and stuff like that, using one timidity++
engine. timidity++ is supposed to be able to do the former two when it
was really young, and Takashi Iwai added the alsa sequencer support later.

I'm pondering it would be nice if somehow, a general interface can be
defined for one engine to do multiple things. Something like that may
already exist inside timidity++.

liulk