Re: [linux-audio-dev] RE: linux-audio-dev digest, Vol 1 #91 - 17 msgs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RE: linux-audio-dev digest, Vol 1 #91 - 17 msgs
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 14:42:11 EEST

>yet but Im ready to change that). I have been very interested in assisting
>the unix community with the development of a completely professional
>multitrack recording ystem complete with audio processing "plugins"
>including soft-synths. I have ideas regarding a method and standard but have
>not weighed them against anything out there. Is there anybody out there
>actually doing development on an open source system that is a part of this

http://ardour.sf.net/
http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound

Ardour's primary goal is to make ProTools irrelevant. Ecasound is more
oriented toward command line use, though its a very powerful tool and
there are graphical front-ends for it under development.

i should also mention MusE, which doesn't do a lot with audio right
now, but is easily the cream of the current crop when it comes to MIDI
sequencing.

http://muse.seh.de/ <<= most advanced MIDI

plus of course, LADSPA (http://www.ladspa.org/). i strongly suggest
you read the Ardour FAQ's entry on VST support, since it applies to
just about all of us, i believe.

>I have many ideas and much knowledge in audio processing and used to me a
>member of the AES (Audio Engineering Society) about 10 years ago and I would
>like to talk to others that are interested in this. Perhaps we can put
>together an action list and get underway.

Ardour has been underway for 2-1/2 years. There are several
professional recording engineers on the ardour-dev mailing list, and
I'm also a partner in a commercial recording studio here in Philadelphia.

--p