RE: [linux-audio-dev] name a realtime wave mixing library/program with an API

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] name a realtime wave mixing library/program with an API
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 22:28:01 EEST

On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 07:28, mikko.a.helin_AT_nokia.com wrote:
> Isn't Timidity able to load SF2 banks? Maybe that's a solution for you? If the soundfonts could be loaded/unloaded dynamically like in Windows API you could just load new soundfont bank when it's needed and unload when it's no more / not yet needed to save memory. If you don't like SF2 format also the DLS or DLS2 formats are available (you'll get specs from www.midi.org).
>
> IMHO it's better to build a pure MIDI tracker (for Windows I haven't yet found a pattern-based MIDI sequencer like the one on Ensoniq EPS/+/ASR/ESQ samplers/synths which I've also used live, it's simply great) and send the BANK LOAD and BANK UNLOAD commands from the sequencer as SYSEX data to the synth part of application.
> -Mikko

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but iiwusynth is becoming a full
featured (as far as the SoundFont spec) synthesizer. Even modulators and
real time effects are now working. Swami is my own project, which is the
successor to the Smurf Sound Font Editor, and uses iiwusynth. It also
provides a GTK gui for editing SoundFonts, modulators, real time
effects, iiwusynth controls, etc. Also of note is that Swami is an
entire re-code of Smurf and contains a support library which does all
the non-gui stuff (SoundFont manipulation, wavetable drivers, plugins,
etc) and is based on GObject (no dependency on GTK, X, etc) and can be
used in ones own program (although things aren't quite there yet).

http://swami.sourceforge.net

Its still in heavy development and there are some missing features (undo
support for one), but it is quite usable and fun, thanks to iiwusynth :)
I'm looking for developers too, if anyone is interested.

Cheers.
        Josh Green