Re: [linux-audio-dev] a brief update and a request

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a brief update and a request
From: Andy Wingo (wingo_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 22:23:32 EEST

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Dave Phillips wrote:

> Greetings:

Howdy Dave! Glad to hear you're doing well.

> Meanwhile, I'm happy to announce that my publisher has requested an
> outline for a 2nd edition of my book (The Book Of Linux Music & Sound).

Man, that's great news. Congrats, and good luck ;)

> I've already made quite a list of additions and deletions, and I would
> like to know the opinions of the members of LAD/LAU. Specifically:
>
> What applications profiles would you like to see added ?
>
> What applications profiles would you like to see deleted ?
>
> What other material would you like to see added or deleted ?
>
> Any other suggestions ?

I have a couple of personal biases.

1) The use of jack to link together sound apps -- a universal transport
   control

   This area is not often explored in practice, so you might be on the
   cutting edge, so to speak. It does have a lot of promise, though; the
   trouble is that often, apps just connect directly to the sound
   driver. While that's a nice defaut behaviour, often it would be
   useful to have to option to leave ports disconnected. I digress. A
   few quicktoot-style tutorials on getting things done with the alsa
   seq and jack would be most useful.

2) GStreamer

   There aren't that many apps out there that use it yet, but from a
   developer's perspective it offers quite a number of possibilities. At
   least a mention would be nice -- we're trying to shift the focus to
   app production these days, like a graphical pipeline editor:

   http://ambient.2y.net/tmp/gst-editor-ambisonics.png

   GStreamer, and its example apps, are similar to glame and ecasound in
   that a toolkit, rather than finished apps (at this point), is
   offered.

Well, whatever you choose to include, I'm sure it will be a nice
improvement on the already nice first edition.

Maybe a section on making the transition from windows or mac to linux?
That would be neat.

Best regards,

Andy Wingo