Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 02:00:48 EEST

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:41:45 -0400 (EDT)
Taybin Rutkin <trutkin_AT_physics.clarku.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Juan Linietsky wrote:
>
> > But what about the overall status of the apps? not only the jack
> > network..
> > the idea i was refering to is how to "save _a_ project" when you
> > are running
> > 20 different apps interconncted by different means.
>
> Well, what *exactly* is it that you want to communicate? Transport
> status? Start and stop recording now? JACK has this (even if it
> isn't used at the moment)

> restored and the individual program files loaded as well? I think
> JACK would be a good place for this. I proposed something along
> those lines way back when it was first being discussed, but I think
> there were more important issues being discussed. Also my proposal
> was only along the lines of, "hey guys, this might be something to
> consider".

No I think Jack is not the place for this. Jack doesnt handle midi,
since
this is done using the alsa sequencer api, so you'd have to force midi
apps
to use jack. Or maybe apps that proovide any other kind of info for
which jack
is pointless. Also this kind of communication isnt time critical, so
an implementation
that uses sockets would be the best.

Juan Linietsky