Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 02:06:35 EEST

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 06:41:45PM -0400, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Juan Linietsky wrote:
(cut)
>and the individual program files loaded as well? I think JACK would be a
>good place for this. I proposed something along those lines way back when
>it was first being discussed, but I think there were more important issues
>being discussed. Also my proposal was only along the lines of, "hey guys,
>this might be something to consider".
(cut)

Hm, Jack is defined as a low latency _audio server_.

While it would be great to have everything in the same package,
there is the issue that you should fight for separation of concerns :)

Sometimes it would be nice if sort had a feature to
prune duplicates, but hey thats what uniq is all about.
No one ever thought about integrating these two, right ?

As long as you try to make jack the perfect
audio interconnection tool, state saving protocols
and controller data simply do not have their
place in there and are as orthogonal to eachother
as uniq and sort.

This discussion was all about avoiding
big monolithic inflexible goo, so why
throw everything into jack now ?