Re: [linux-audio-dev] App metadata intercomunication protocol..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App metadata intercomunication protocol..
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 02:09:03 EEST

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:39:54 +0200
Vincent Touquet <vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 07:17:27PM -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> (cut)
> >How do you think the implementation should be? I cant think of
> >much, but
> >i think even a simple communication protocol that can send
> >tree-organized data
> >between apps over either tcp or unix sockets should be enough..
> >Also this
> >way it could save/load data from XML files. I think XML is very
> >important for this
> >because 1-It's standard 2-If we dont use it, We'll have all the xml
> >lovers saying
> >the lib is crap because it doesnt use XML ;)
> (cut)
>
> XML of course :)
>
> There are those who claim XML is bloat though ;)
>
> Nothing is more portable than xml though.
>
> Hell, we could be even using Jabber and
> save / recover state using our own XML based
> protocol across multiple machines...
>
> This could be made very versatile :)
>
> So we have:
>
> - audio interconnection -> JACK
> - control interconnection -> ? (alsa ?)

Alsa I guess.. Alsa does midi, but midi
proovides timing and start/stop commands
so i think control is by default something
inhertent to midi. External equipment you can buy
also uses midi for this.

> - state saving protocol
> -> some XML based protocol
>
> Is this XML based protocol restricted
> to state accounting only or would it
> be used for control interconnection
> protocol too (like midi + some bracket bloat ;) ?

I dont know if the protocol should be xml itself, i was
talking about the state files it saves. I think by just
using a tree-based data container protocol for communication
is enough.. I dont think the lib has to get complicated
unnecesarily. I'd also limit it for state load / state saving
for now. I know it would be cool to have an xml transport system,
but i think the best is to start with a very simple
lib that proovides the needed functionality for programs and just
that..
if we see that something more useful could be done, then version 2.0
will
do that ;)

Juan Linietsky