Re: [linux-audio-dev] App metadata intercomunication protocol..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App metadata intercomunication protocol..
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 01:17:27 EEST

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:44:00 -0400
Paul Winkler <pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 05:18:46PM -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> > I think this can be solved by developing a metadata protocol
> > between apps, so the can intercommunicate
> > status and other things, and having a "master" app that manages
> > projects and things like that, by just
> > retrieving/storing status in the other apps.
>
> Yes yes yes yes. We *need* something like this.
>
> Even if some people want to write enormous monolithic apps, what
> happens when there's that one little thing you need another jack
> client for? Ooops, you're outside the box and off into modular
> world. It's inevitable.

I think something like that could be extremely useful, and not only
for audio. Also if a certain program only supports commandline, even a
shell/perl
script wrapper for it could be useful.

How do you think the implementation should be? I cant think of much,
but
i think even a simple communication protocol that can send
tree-organized data
between apps over either tcp or unix sockets should be enough.. Also
this
way it could save/load data from XML files. I think XML is very
important for this
because 1-It's standard 2-If we dont use it, We'll have all the xml
lovers saying
the lib is crap because it doesnt use XML ;)

Cheers

Juan Linietsky