Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: Bob Ham (node_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 01:10:55 EEST

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 22:11, Phil Kerr wrote:
> One of the strong points of Linux, and UNIX in general, is the way small
> app's can be strung together, this is the most flexible approach.

This is true, but only of apps that can fit in to the way that Unix does
its stringing together; ie, filestream-based apps. It is indeed
advantageous to bend the way you work into this in many instances when
you're trying to get a computer to do work. Unfortunately, audio work
isn't one of them. There is no such framework to provide similar
functionality to audio programs, yet.

Jack provides an excellent transport for audio, but that is rarely the
only thing that audio programs require; MIDI and parameter controls are
also needed more often than not. This is, to some degree, what I'm
attempting to provide with the app (or api, if you like) that I'm
working on.

Bob

--
Bob Ham: bob_AT_ham.org  http://pkl.net/~node/