Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 01:42:39 EEST

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:55:37 +0200
Vincent Touquet <vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 04:44:00PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> >On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 05:18:46PM -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> >> I think this can be solved by developing a metadata protocol
> >between> apps, so the can intercommunicate
> >> status and other things, and having a "master" app that manages
> >> projects and things like that, by just
> >> retrieving/storing status in the other apps.
> >
> >Yes yes yes yes. We *need* something like this.
>
> Hm, yes I can see the point of this.
>
> I was thinking: isn't it enough that programs
> can store their own state ? Obviously what is
> lacking is the relationship between the saved
> states of _different_ programs, who form
> a semantic entity, called a 'project' or sth. :)
>
> Cut the expensive words, but we sure have a
> need here i guess which transcends the
> individual app level ...

Let me give you an example, you're working
with the above situation I used.

Programs suchas the sequencer or multitrack recorder will obviously
not give you the entire project,
but will instead save and tell the "project manager app" which file
they saved, so when the project
manager load the project again, will tell them to load such files.
But other simpler apps such as a simple softsynth, or just LADSPA
nodes wont mind simply giving them the configuration data.

Juan Linietsky