Re: [linux-audio-dev] App metadata intercomunication protocol..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App metadata intercomunication protocol..
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 01:39:54 EEST

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 07:17:27PM -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:
(cut)
>How do you think the implementation should be? I cant think of much,
>but
>i think even a simple communication protocol that can send
>tree-organized data
>between apps over either tcp or unix sockets should be enough.. Also
>this
>way it could save/load data from XML files. I think XML is very
>important for this
>because 1-It's standard 2-If we dont use it, We'll have all the xml
>lovers saying
>the lib is crap because it doesnt use XML ;)
(cut)

XML of course :)

There are those who claim XML is bloat though ;)

Nothing is more portable than xml though.

Hell, we could be even using Jabber and
save / recover state using our own XML based
protocol across multiple machines...

This could be made very versatile :)

So we have:

- audio interconnection -> JACK
- control interconnection -> ? (alsa ?)
- state saving protocol
  -> some XML based protocol

Is this XML based protocol restricted
to state accounting only or would it
be used for control interconnection
protocol too (like midi + some bracket bloat ;) ?

regards
vini