Re: [linux-audio-dev] App metadata intercomunication protocol..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App metadata intercomunication protocol..
From: Taybin Rutkin (trutkin_AT_physics.clarku.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 03:22:08 EEST

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Phil Kerr wrote:

> Or use something like SOAP?
>
> As long as theres a mechanism for naming the source application and if
> needed it's instance, then there shouldn't be a problem. Something like:

It seems to me that first you need to list what you want to communicate
and then decide on the mechanism. If you just want to restore a group of
applications to their previous state, maybe this is what you want:

# The X Session Management Client Side API can be downloaded from:
ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/R6.4/xc/doc/hardc\opy/SM/SMlib.PS.gz

# A document describing details of the protocol can be downloaded from:
ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/R6.4/xc/doc/hardcopy/SM/xsmp.PS.gz

It's an API for starting, stopping, and restarting groups of applications
so that they return to their previous state. I'm not sure how useful it
would be to non-X11 programs, but lets not reinvent the wheel.

Taybin