Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 04:27:31 EEST

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:36:48 -0700
John Lazzaro <lazzaro_AT_CS.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

> http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mmusic-charter.html

No, no, none of this is of any use. We already have the best of the
best apis for audio and midi,
so this isnt the problem. Also to Taybin, what is meant isnt a
"session manager" like in gnome,
or x (which take care of apps running with their windows placement,
etc).

I'm talking about a "Project" manager, this hasnt been done before,
and it wasnt
done before no apis existed which would provide such amount of
modularity (like jack/alsa),
and because in commercial OSs it's no usual for programs to cooperate
so much... so
this is basically a new ground. the tasks involve:

-Saving current status of the apps, files open, data, etc, into a file
you choose, or even
be smart enough to tell your apps "save all your stuff here in this
dir" and it does a nice tar.gz
with your project in case you want to backup it.
or just giving it the files.
-Managing priorities. Certain apps have to be loaded or configured
before or after others since some of them will be responsable of
restoring all the interconnection stuff

And later could be expanded to:

-Leting a program know when another has died (crash?) so they can
restabilish links
-Generic message passing IPC communication api.

When talking about the unix way, I have meant "have apps cooperate"
Obviously times have evolved and
streamed pipes are not the all-wonderful solution, but if you check
the current status of the apis such
as ALSA or JACK, you will notice that they encourage ways of
inter-process-communcation a lot more than the respective apis in
windows/mac.

So what should this program/api be? "A project manager for IPC enabled
apps". That's it.

Juan Linietsky