Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 13:53:55 EEST

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this list for a while. I have worked mainly for various frontends of ecasound. Currently I am in the making of a curses-based
graphical wave-editor.

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:27:31 -0300
Juan Linietsky <coding_AT_reduz.com.ar> wrote:

> I'm talking about a "Project" manager, this hasnt been done before,
> and it wasnt
> done before no apis existed which would provide such amount of
> modularity (like jack/alsa),
> and because in commercial OSs it's no usual for programs to cooperate
> so much... so
> this is basically a new ground. the tasks involve:
>
> -Saving current status of the apps, files open, data, etc, into a file
> you choose, or even
> be smart enough to tell your apps "save all your stuff here in this
> dir" and it does a nice tar.gz
> with your project in case you want to backup it.
> or just giving it the files.

A super-simple solution to this would be using combination of commandline parameters and signals.

this would involve steps:

-agree on cmdline-switch to create a new file.
-agree on cmdline-switch to load an existing file.
-agree on signal to be used to save state to that given file. (SIGTERM?)

Ofcourse the project-manager program could maintain a DB of different load and new switches for different programs, but at least the signal handling should be somewhat standardised.

janne