[linux-audio-dev] (no subject)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] (no subject)
From: .n++k (Knos_AT_free.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 11:45:55 EEST

| On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:14:56 -0400
| Paul Winkler <pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com> wrote:
|
| > On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:43:36AM +0200, n++k wrote:
| > > Just a comment on the metadata persistence:
| > >
| > > Why not use an SQL database for storing session/project metadata?
| > > (configuration and such) We have the benefit of having a few quite
| > > stable free software SQL databases. (mysql, postgresql, sapdb) so
| > > requiring one wouldn't be too much to ask.
| >
| > except they're big to install. that might cause some resistance.
| > and it strikes me as using a piledriver when a hammer would do.

Let's not be hypocrites:
$ du -hs /opt/mysql
  2.5M bin
  252k include
  1.9M info
  1.1M lib
  2.7M libexec
  76k man
  1.4M mysql-test
  888k share
  4.5M sql-bench

that's 15M, of which 5M (mysql-test. sql-bench) are useless

i would hardly call that big

I think the real issue is that of the api, i haven't tested myself but
ODBC provides a common api for databases under linux too. (drivers are
available for just about any of the databases mentionned)

| And also you cant do the neat thing of asking all your apps to save
| all their data
| to a directory so you can create a targzip with the project :)
|
| Juan Linietsky

Well it would be just as easy to me to have a small util with a dump
of the database.. as would any other manipulation/analysis on the
projects data be. Backup are easy too.

Somehow i think xml+files are messy and unflexible, and just a step
backwards in the world of hierarchical databases.