Re: [linux-audio-dev] (no subject)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] (no subject)
From: rm (async_AT_cc.gatech.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 12:33:56 EEST

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 10:45:55AM +0200, .n++k wrote:

> Well it would be just as easy to me to have a small util with a dump
> of the database.. as would any other manipulation/analysis on the
> projects data be. Backup are easy too.

requiring an sql db for this sort of thing would be gratuitous. for
one, it's another dependency that people would have to download,
compile, and setup. for most databases, the setup is non-trivial. (i
can't run my audio app, because i can't figure out how to setup my
database?) secondly, it's unnecessary as i understand the requirements
of task. you might be able to justify a smaller database like
sleepycat's stuff, but files are more reasonable and pretty much
everyone has a filesystem these days. you just don't need the majority
of the features that a relational db provides.

gconf2 might be an appropriate model to look at for ideas. api calls
for accessing the information are defined, and the backend is left
unspecified (but likely fs based initially). additionally, swig,
corba, etc can be used to provide bindings of the api to most
languages.
                        rob

----
Robert Melby
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: async_AT_cc.gatech.edu