Re: [linux-audio-dev] (no subject)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] (no subject)
From: Arthur Peters (amp_AT_singingwizard.org)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 21:14:18 EEST

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 05:11, .n++k wrote:

> Anyway, as a summary, what is the be solved:
> . defining, naming, identifying a session (= project)
> . communicating with the apps to request loading and saving
> session associated data.
> . 1. each app is passed enough knowledge to store their state themselves
> or
> 2. an api and library is designed that can abstract finding the location
> of the project itself, how to store the data etc..
>
> I fear that 2. would be a complete reinvention of things that have been done many times before (dbms) and thus would either result in:
> . not being done
> . being done, incompletly
>
> I'd prefer 1. although it freezes the backend.

I think there might be problems with option 1 when the apps are running
on different machines (as was mensioned earlier). Maybe a hybrid would
work: provide an API for each app to pass it's data to the project
server. This data could be anything, XML, binary of somesort, whatever.
The project server could then store that data any way it wanted, the
simplest being a group of files in a directory. The apps wouldn't have
to change their data format, only replace their file IO with this API,
and we would have some choice of backends.

-Arthur