Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio Recording Libs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio Recording Libs
From: Andy Wingo (wingo_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 20:06:32 EEST

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002, Tapan S. Parikh wrote:

> Audio newbie question... Id like to be able to record audio from the
> mic at the touch of a button in my Gnome app. Is there a best way to
> do this? Are there some standard libs available for something like
> this?
>
> Seems simple but maybe it isnt...

Gnome 1 or 2?

It's not really all that easy. If you just want raw audio output (to WAV
or something), you could code up a quick recording client using
libsndfile. You could use jack, but it's not widespread, esp. not on the
desktop. You could use GStreamer, which works quite well for me; it's
also going to be relatively standard on Gnome 2 desktops, I think. We'll
see where that goes. Another quick option would be to simply invoke
arecord or sox or something as a separate process.

So no, it's not that simple yet :/

regards,

wingo.