[linux-audio-dev] RME boards for Linux/Csound

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] RME boards for Linux/Csound
From: pma (Armstrong.Peter.DMA_AT_aya.yale.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 00:43:42 EEST

Hi, Everyone.

As my digital-audio-hardware savvy is wanting, I would much appreciate
any critique of the following (not very long) purchase proposal.

My old sound card, a vintage '91 MTU MicroSound running with Csound
under MS-Windows, died recently. I am in search of a replacement, to
run in a newer
box under Debian Linux. My use of the system use will consist mainly
of Csound generation to disk (no realtime issues) and the CD-burning of
selected results.
I'll want to hear directly from disk too, and record occasionally from
analog tape.

My proposed solution is an RME Hammerfall Lite, together with its two
analog expansion boards, the AEB4-I & AEB4-O. If I understand, the
main board on its own will format output appropriately for audio-CD, but
requires the AEB4-I to record from analog sources, and requires the
AEB4-O to play directly from disk.

Question 1: Do I understand these essentials correctly? (Already have
 also the ALSA-0.9 sources, CD-burner, amplifier and speakers.)

Question 2: Does the RME constitute overkill -- for someone mainly
wanting sound _quality_ (not whatever new fancy functionalities) in his
old-fashioned style of use? If a simpler alternate could serve me as
well, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Peter