Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME boards for Linux/Csound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME boards for Linux/Csound
From: David Gerard Matthews (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 04:46:32 EEST

Hello,
The Hammerfall has a great reputation, but it might be more
cost-effective to go with one of the M-Audio cards if you don't need
16-24 channels of audio. The biggest selling point of the Hammerfall
cards (besides their legendary low-latency performance) is the massive
number of channels, and the ability to use external converters.
 However, if you're not going to be using external D/A's, or a digital
mixer, then you're probably better off going with a card that uses an
external breakout box for the A/D/A, because that offers better
isolation from the CPU than you would get from the Hammerfall's
daughterboards. I personally use an M-Audio Delta 1010 and have been
quite happy with its performance under Linux; other cards from
manufacturers like Terratec which also use the Envy24 chipset should
work well too. All of this, of course, is not meant on a diss on the
Hammerfall cards - they really are great cards, however, if you're
mostly just doing CSound, with a bit of analog tape transfer, it
probably is severe overkill.
HTH,
dgm