[linux-audio-dev] Re: [music-dsp] RME boards for Linux/Csound

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [music-dsp] RME boards for Linux/Csound
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 12:44:46 EEST

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 05:43:42 -0400, pma wrote:
> Question 1: Do I understand these essentials correctly? (Already have
> also the ALSA-0.9 sources, CD-burner, amplifier and speakers.)

I think so. I use the hammerfall light at home and its fine. I use non RME
ADDA converters though.

> Question 2: Does the RME constitute overkill -- for someone mainly
> wanting sound _quality_ (not whatever new fancy functionalities) in his
> old-fashioned style of use? If a simpler alternate could serve me as
> well, any suggestions?

If the only digital output you want is spdif (to send to the cd burner -
assuming its an external one) you could just use the m-audio delta 66.
http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/delta66.php I've never used one
myself, but I've heard that the sound quality is very good.

Hope that helps,
   Steve

PS The question might have been more appropriate on the linux-audio-user
   list.