[linux-audio-dev] SoundFont soft synths (Was: TK-707 and Alsa-0.9)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] SoundFont soft synths (Was: TK-707 and Alsa-0.9)
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 22:22:29 EEST

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 06:15, Dave Phillips wrote:

> Now to figure out how to use soundfonts (SF2) instead of PAT files in
> TiMidity++. I already have Swami compiled and running, and Csound
> utilizes soundfonts now... Hmm... Is anyone out there already using SF2
> in TiMidity++ ?

I haven't tried SoundFont files in TiMidity++ for a while (last time I
tried, I gave up). I did see a nice TiMidity HOWTO by Takashi Iwai at:
http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/guide/TiMidity-howto.html
You've probably seen this no? It would be cool to do a comparison of
SoundFont support in available soft synths: iiwusynth, TiMidity++,
CSound, others? I've really only seen iiwusynth in action. I'm curious
as to whether any of the other ones support real time effects or
modulators like iiwusynth does. If you were interested in this type of
information I could do some research myself :)

I'm assuming you've probably already tried iiwusynth, since you
mentioned compiling Swami.

> Best regards,
>
> == Dave Phillips

Cheers.