[linux-audio-dev] cdparanoia

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] cdparanoia
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 20:55:55 EEST

>From: Vincent Touquet <vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be>
>
>Feature complete / no more bugs ? :)

Maybe somebody else could look at cdparanoia for further features:

  Bad sectors list which could be used in an audio editor: (i) if
  there were bad sectors, then user should know about it; red color
  for segments which cdparanoia could not correct/interpolate/restore,
  and orange for segments for which cdparanoia were able to interpolate/
  restore (in which case editor gives user a possibility to use other
  algorithms for restoration if cdparanoia did not a good job);
  (ii) such bad sector info also provides sretchable glue (TeX terminology)
  points in the case the editor needs to resync the audio --- glue points
  are the points to where resync algorithm adds/interpolates extra audio

Most probably I will check the software coming to editor side, but
somebody else should look at cdparanoia. Has anyone tested how those
new "do not work on CD-ROM devices" audio CDs works with cdparanoia?

They put uncorrectable digital errors to those new audio CDs.
Those errors are so severe that an audio interpolation/restoration
algorithms are needed. Now, a cheap CD player like I do have do not
have any good (if at all) interpolation/restoration algorithm (money
savings in not using patented algorithms or expensive DSP processor).
Either cdparanoia should do the interpolation (if CD reading is possible
at all), or I should spend money (which I do not have) to expensive
CD player. It could be that modern DVD players have no any better
audio restoration algorithms because all the money is spend to patented
mpeg audio and video algorithms; what do you think? Anyway, I have
no interest in testing which CD/DVD player has good restoration
algorithms.

Best regards,

Juhana