Re: [linux-audio-dev] cdparanoia

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] cdparanoia
From: Stefan Kost (kost_AT_imn.htwk-leipzig.de)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 09:34:36 EEST

> Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
>
>> Most probably I will check the software coming to editor side, but
>> somebody else should look at cdparanoia. Has anyone tested how those
>> new "do not work on CD-ROM devices" audio CDs works with cdparanoia?
>>
>> They put uncorrectable digital errors to those new audio CDs.
>> Those errors are so severe that an audio interpolation/restoration
>> algorithms are needed.
>>
> This is of course a gross abuse of the rights of the purchaser to "fair
> use", and I hope that people, especially readers of this list, would no
> more think of buying them than they would of supporting, e.g., the
> Microsoft monopoly. In fact, if you have any such CDs, I urge you to
> return them as faulty and get a refund.
>
> Nick/
Another things is write that to the bands. I am doing DJing and we often
have problems with such CD (from not playable at all to slow recognission).
I usually rip the tracks and burn my own 'fixed' version, but mailing to the
bands and telling them, that you are not be able to play the trakcs in the
clibs, because of the copy-right protection makes most oft them think
about it. In nearly all case it turns out that they know next to nothing about
how this works and that the CD will still be copyable. It is just a quality
tradeoff. They just scare away less technical informed people, by making their
DVD-Player not playing the CD :-(.

Stefan

--
       \|/            Stefan Kost