Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reborn

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Reborn
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 18:43:19 EEST

Hi Bob,
Bob Ham hat gesagt: // Bob Ham wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 09:02, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Then I looked at the gsynth website at
> > sf.net to find out its license. If I understand the GPL correctly, Singer
> > still has some time left to make the source available, 3 years?
>
> That's not strictly correct.
> [...]
> It doesn't matter if you say "I'll give you it in a little while;"
> you're still saying "I'm not giving it to you now" and disallowing
> people doing that is, like, the entire purpose of the GPL.

Thank you for this clarification. We will of course have to see, what
licensing Dave Singer will decide upon. Maybe he was just so happy, to
have something useable ready, that he published the binary without his
source code, because he wants to clean this up first, and thus
violating the GPL. But I can wait a little bit. I don't care too much
anyway, because somehow I didn't like ReBirth in the first place.
Photorealistic interfaces make me shiver. I never worked with "real"
synths and thus I cannot appreciate a GUI that is made to look like
things one used to work with. I prefer the abstract interface of PD.

ciao