Re: [linux-audio-dev] Jack and block-based algorithms (was: Reborn)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Jack and block-based algorithms (was: Reborn)
From: Martijn Sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 17:38:58 EEST

> How does the pull model work with block-based algorithms that cannot
> provide any output until it has read a block on the input, and thus
> inherently has a lower bound on delay?
>
> I'm considering a redesign of I/O handling in BruteFIR to add Jack
> support (I/O is currently select()-based), but since it is processes in
> blocks, perhaps it is not feasible?

If an algorithm requires blocks of a certain size, it should buffer such
blocks
itself IMHO. This then increases latency by at least one such block, but
more
realistically 2 blocks, one for buffering and one for processing the block
(async). Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

How do VST plugins handle this?

--martijn