Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA plugin - non realtime use of buffers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA plugin - non realtime use of buffers
From: Nathan Stewart (nps_AT_mebtel.net)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 15:52:46 EEST

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 05:10, Steve Harris wrote:
> You can't alter the length of the output buffer, you have to produce as
> many samples as you consume.
>
> For a simple gate, you should be copying samples from input to output when
> its open and writing 0.0f's to the output when its closed.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I'm trying to make a gate that I can feed
a source which has about 3 hours of silence with 2 seconds of
interesting signal every couple minutes. I removed the attack/release
portions that I did have working because the built in ecasound gate
-enm: works just fine. My plugin now assumes that you've already run a
traditional noise gate. I want the final output to be a condensed file
of just the interesting parts (interesting defined as any nonzero signal
level).

If I can't shorten the output buffer, and can't see outside the current
input buffer, perhaps I need to look at working with jack or ecasound
directly again.
Nate