[linux-audio-dev] midi events in jack callback (was: Reborn)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] midi events in jack callback (was: Reborn)
From: Bob Ham (node_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 15:53:42 EEST

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 15:06, Paul Davis wrote:
> >On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 13:21, Paul Davis wrote:
> >
> >> a "pull" model ("hey client: do this much work right now").
> >
> >Should the "this much work" be constant? Ie, should I be dealing with
> >midi events (of which there may or may not be some) inside or outside the
> >process callback?
>
> the process() callback is the only place where you can discover "what
> time it is". given that midi events will typically need this to be
> useful, they will they need to be dispatched from within it, but they
> may have timestamps in the future and thus get queued at some level
> (your app, a user-space library, a device driver, etc.)

I was actually thinking of ignoring time-stamps except within the code
that sequences events. If my jack clients are given a midi event (eg,
noteon,) they should deal with it immediately. Same goes for their
despatches. Is this not what I should be doing?

Bob

--
Bob Ham: bob_AT_ham.org  http://pkl.net/~node/