[linux-audio-dev] What I think about reborn.

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] What I think about reborn.
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 21:26:08 EEST

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:19:16 -0500
Davy Durham <ddurham_AT_netdoor.com> wrote:

> I forwarded that email about copyrighted interfaces to the author..
> and here's what he said:

I _personally_ dont care about it as an app, i'd never use it. But I
care about
the overall status of the linux audio community and apps such as this
will
only benefit it. Yes, the author is free to do whathever he wants, and
he owns
his work, but that doesnt mean we cant criticize his behavior. He says
basically:

"I'm something of a Linux evangelist in my social circle.
What I *hate*, however, is this whole anally retentive obsession with
the
Open Source licence, as we've seen here."

To which i'd really like to tell him, license is _very_ important.
We write software with the hopes that will benefit US and OTHERS,
also we love to share our code with others. People has used
code from my programs, and I have used the code from other people,
and we avovoid a huge duplicated effort for each thing we do,
while all benefiting. Many of us deffent this ideal and encourage it.

Basically, the guy:
1-Takes code from other app with permission, instead of sharing
2-Releases closed source, promising to open it.
3-Receives alot of feedback and encouragement about his work, even
gets to slashdot!
4-Pheads mails him and he closes the project and _asks for people to
not redistribute it_.
5-Says he's working on a new "kickass app"

Seriously, he may be free to do whatever he wants, his code may be
legal or not, but
I find his attitude extremely lame and irresponsible, and i'm going to
criticize
as much as I want, because attitudes such as that only harm the
opensource audio
community.
He wont even release the source so other people can work on it to
modify the interface
to not resemble rebirth or something, he just says he's working on a
new app, so
basically I guess he is either a selfish guy or cares shit about the
community.
Damn it, a "closed source draft of an app" ?? That doesnt even make
any sense to me.

Maybe you, Mr. Singer pick the wrong OS/community to develop for. I
hope for the
next release of your "kickass app" decide beforehand to release either
closed
source or opensource.

Oh, I also hope mr. Jeffrey Limm, author of Impulse Tracker wont sue
me because
cheesetracker clones the app and its interface, because i'd pee my
pants.

I'm not trying to be aggressive, so i'm sorry for using harsh
language,
I'm trying to formalize my feelings for the whole situation, and maybe
what
others feel too, and I hope David Singer thinks about this before
releasing his next app, so the same stupid situation wont repeat.

Juan Linietsky