Re: [linux-audio-dev] What I think about reborn.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What I think about reborn.
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_dumbterm.net)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 23:00:22 EEST

  Reduz,

Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar):

> [...] Yes, the author is free to do whathever he wants, and he owns
> his work, but that doesnt mean we cant criticize his behavior.

  Here you're right. You can criticize him all you like.

> To which i'd really like to tell him, license is _very_ important. We
> write software with the hopes that will benefit US and OTHERS, also we
> love to share our code with others. People has used code from my
> programs, and I have used the code from other people, and we avovoid a
> huge duplicated effort for each thing we do, while all benefiting.
> Many of us deffent this ideal and encourage it.

  And here I think you're wrong.

  I know that I write software mostly because it's fun, and I'm pretty
sure you do to. When I write software, I often like to start mostly
from scratch: why? because you learn alot. Why do you think there are
alot of very similar apps for linux? Coding is fun, even more fun from
scratch. So, I don't think that 'avoiding a huge duplicated effort' is
really a shared goal here.

  And yes, license is important, but I think it's more important to have
more programmers targeting linux for their hobby applications. We're
short on developers on pretty much every project, having a rebirth clone
available is a small price to pay for having another developer who could
be contributing elsewhere.

  So, I wouldn't criticize so much. I'm on his side against open source
bigotry.

  One last thought, I bet his 'kickass app' will still include the 303
emulation and the drum machines, so you need not worry so much about
losing all those precious lines of source code.

--
Billy Biggs
vektor_AT_dumbterm.net