Re: [linux-audio-dev] analysis/resynthesis environment: python?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] analysis/resynthesis environment: python?
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun_AT_pp.htv.fi)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 16:32:05 EEST

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:48:17 +0200
Kasper Souren <Kasper.Souren_AT_ircam.fr> wrote:

> On Friday 09 August 2002 00:39, Andrew W. Schmeder wrote:
> > However these days I recommend Python with Numeric/Scientific/SciPy
>
> What do you use to play and load sound?

Well, there is module in standard lib to read and write wavs, called wave.

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-wave.html

To play them, I have used a module called linuxaudiodev. It's bit strange since there is no mention of it in any documentation, but it has been bundled with python for some time now, for what I know. Interface is similar to module sunaudiodev.

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-sunaudiodev.html

The linuxaudiodev module seems bit buggy, but is fine for basic operation.

> Maybe it's nice to use libsndfile for soundfile stuff. I did
> it before for someone who programs in Pascal.

If you come up with bindings for libsndfile, I'd be very interested.

> For playing sound I was thinking about the pyeca thingy, but it's just an
> interface to ecasound, and to play a sound you first need to write it to a
> file.

What's wrong with writing straight to alsa or oss device?

janne