Re: [linux-audio-dev] analysis/resynthesis environment: python?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] analysis/resynthesis environment: python?
From: Kasper Souren (Kasper.Souren_AT_ircam.fr)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 17:48:17 EEST

On Friday 09 August 2002 00:39, Andrew W. Schmeder wrote:
> However these days I recommend Python with Numeric/Scientific/SciPy
> extensions over Octave (and over Matlab). In addition to Python's
> unquestionably superior language support and library integration, Numeric
> offers some extra features such as typed matrices. (IIRC in Matlab/Octave
> all matrices are of type double).

What do you use to play and load sound? I know there is tkSnack, but I don't
really like it. Maybe it's nice to use libsndfile for soundfile stuff. I did
it before for someone who programs in Pascal.

The Python documentation about extending/embedding seems okay, but they don't
mention how to compile the .c file to get an .so file. I think it has been
written for experienced C programmers.

For playing sound I was thinking about the pyeca thingy, but it's just an
interface to ecasound, and to play a sound you first need to write it to a
file.

greetz,
Kasper