Re: [linux-audio-dev] saol question: adjusting delay line time?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] saol question: adjusting delay line time?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 20:31:20 EEST

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:21:57AM -0500, Will Benton wrote:
> Howdy, all.
>
> I'm writing a softsynth/toy that uses sfront (via a custom control
> driver) to produce trendy, 303-inspired sounds. I realize that this
> isn't that interesting a project (how many 303 toys does the world
> need?), but I'm using it as a proof-of-concept/stepping stone to a
> cooler GUI-controlled environment/softsynth with an SAOL engine.

woohoo! this is exactly the kind of thing I want to see.

> In any case, here's my question: I have an effects instrument that
> implements delay, but there is no way to change the delay time from
> the control layer, since the delay instrument is only instantiated
> once and the delay time parameter is an ivar.

There's the problem - you really want the delay time to be changing
while the instrument runs, so use a k or a variable.

What's your control driver, and how does it feed values to sfront?

> (More problematic is
> that the delay time is set before the "0 tempo 120" command in the
> SASL file, but that's another story.) How can I get around this? It
> seems that I need to release the instrument so that it will get
> re-instantiated -- but will that mess with my routing?

Probably. It would be like turning the delay off and turning
it back on; there would be an audible interruption in the
stream of echoes.

Paul Winkler "Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"