RE: [linux-audio-dev] managing installations from source [CVS]

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] managing installations from source [CVS]
From: STEFFL, ERIK (SBCSI) ("STEFFL,)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 21:32:29 EEST

  yes, imo it's the only way to save your system from ms-windowsis. Install
everything into /opt/package-version and create links using stow (if it's a
nice playing package), or by hand or even just simply use the installation
in /opt (adjust PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. accordingly).

  Also: if you do make install do it as a particular user that also owns
/opt/package-version directory, otherwise some sneaky packages might install
some stuff into some other directories.

        erik