Re: LADPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] emagic (logic) drops VST support under OS X)

Subject: Re: LADPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] emagic (logic) drops VST support under OS X)
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 13:33:45 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

> I think there is a need for an inprocess only host/plugin
>system, like LADSPA, but more suphisticated though.
>
>> i'm not so sure it would be such a big problem to code -- jack is
>> very 'cross-process' by concept. the current jack graph can already
>> be thought of as 'shared' among and 'controlled' by all clients.
>
>I guess its not fundamentally different from a mixture of IP and OP
>clients, which jack was intended to support.

what i am trying to steer towards is an approximation of 'plugins'
and 'applications'. if both interface with the same system-wide
graph in the same way we get possibilities for free that must be
coded over and over again with the 'monolithic' application
designs we currently have. (by which i also mean .so-based designs
that force you to do source/header reading and coding before
connecting.)

tim