Re: LADPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] emagic (logic) drops VST support under OS X)

Subject: Re: LADPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] emagic (logic) drops VST support under OS X)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 14:37:20 EEST

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 12:33:45 +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
> what i am trying to steer towards is an approximation of 'plugins'
> and 'applications'. if both interface with the same system-wide
> graph in the same way we get possibilities for free that must be
> coded over and over again with the 'monolithic' application
> designs we currently have. (by which i also mean .so-based designs
> that force you to do source/header reading and coding before
> connecting.)

Sure. I think that having a unified application and plugin api (those two
thing blur together anyway) would be a neat thing, but I think you want to
keep them conceptually seperate.

When you are running 4 or 5 jack apps its convienient to be able to patch
between them with a seperate patchbay app (either cable model or matrix),
but if every single plugin in the system appears at that level its going
to be really confusing. I'd hate to loose this functionality.

Maybe theres some way jack apps could indicate "child" apps, that would
help a patchbay hide or group them.

N.B. My current projects that require file i/o or are too graphically
demanding to be LADSPA plugins, but aren't really full apps are jack
clients, so I know its workable.

Some things that would need to be solved, at some point:

  Automation. Sequencers and the like need a way of recording user activity
in these uber-plugins. LADSPA makes this very easy.

  Graph state. Some way of storing and restoring the (sub-)graph state. This
was discussed here a few weeks back. I can't remeber the outcome.

  Toolkit issues. You allready proposed a solution to that, but it needs
implementing.

  In process jack clients. For efficiency. Though OP clients for
segfault-safe testing sounds like heaven :)

  ...?

- Steve