Re: [linux-audio-dev] FLTK/X11 question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] FLTK/X11 question
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 11:54:31 EEST

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 09:12:22 +0100, Bob Ham wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 15:38, Steve Harris wrote:
> > I know a VU meter in a PCM system is about as much use as an underwater
> > hairdryer
>
> I don't know. Why is useless? :)

Because vu meters only give you an idea of the average amplitude over a
fairly long time, and say nothing about peaks, so there no good for
detecting 'overs' in digital systems.

However if you're using jack to feed 1/2" tape or broadcast FM then the're
possibly useful.

Hands up all those who record to multitrack analogue tape ;)

- Steve