Re: [linux-audio-dev] meterbridge 0.0.4

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] meterbridge 0.0.4
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 01:33:28 EEST

>On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 09:43:18 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>> the port reconnection code is evil. i think its completely the wrong
>> approach. its just a kludge to avoid using a patch bay.
>
>I disagree, its only a kludge because there is no clean way to implement
>it with the current API.
>
>The insert connection mode is a feature people want (without dicking about
>with patchbays) and the reconnection code is a logical extension of that.

my sense is that what people want to do is to "attach" the meter to a
cable, so to speak.

       output port --------------------> input port
                            ^

                            put meter here
                            and watch it

i don't see that this requires any messing with "reconnection" - just
connect the meter input port to the LHS output port.

the place where its tricky is with a port that has JackPortIsTerminal
marked:

        wherever ---> input port |

and people want to meter the signal arriving at the terminal input
port.

i'll try to think more about how i believe this should be done. i
don't think that connecting/reconnecting is right.

--p