Re: [linux-audio-dev] Final Scratch, custom kernel?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Final Scratch, custom kernel?
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 22:12:50 EEST

Hi,
Bob Ham hat gesagt: // Bob Ham wrote:

> I wondering how Mr "x" (ack, btw) calculates time? What does the
> "rising" in "440Hz rising saw" refer to?

I think, but Chris could explain better, that the time is calculated
just from the speed of the record. With a rising saw like this

  /| /| /
 / |/ |/

you could just count the zero crossings per second and take the ratio
compared to the expected 440 Hz. It's simple math. Time encoding to
get data about how far from the rim the needle is, would be impossible
this way, unless you change the saw's frequency in a complex way...

But even speed information alone would be quite cool, actually.
Chris: I'll order one of these records, if they're pressed.

ciao