[linux-audio-dev] Needing advice on implementing MIDI in my app (RTMix)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Needing advice on implementing MIDI in my app (RTMix)
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 21:44:07 EEST

Hi all,

Currently, I am working on implementing MIDI in my app, and this is what
I am currently trying to solve:

I just simply want to implement MIDI >not as a sequencer<, but rather as
an external controller of various events (since this is what my app
RTMix does). Now, the problem is also that I want to use MIDI for
intercommunication between my app and other apps running concurrently on
the same machine (i.e. Pd), so here is the list of questions I would
greatly appreciate any help on:

1) First off, is there a simple GPL library that is easy to implement
and that focuses on MIDI? If not, any website with some sample code
would be greatly appreciated!

2) I am trying to design something that is not driver specific (i.e. OSS
or ALSA), so is there any way to do this (i.e. sending message directly
to /dev/midi device or something similar without blocking it to other
apps)

3) For checking the presence of the midi interface on a Linux box, is it
safest to look for /dev/midi device, or is there a "nicer" way?

4) Is there a way to send MIDI data in such a way that it is perceived
by other app on the system (i.e. like sending a midi signal through
midi-out which is via cable connected to midi-in on the same machine,
except without doing so physically)? If so, how? If not, what are the
alternatives (other than above-mentioned physical solution)?

5) Finally, this may be a bit far-fetched question, but here it goes
anyhow: does anyone know if Pd and other applications like it are able
to receive simple numeric messages via network (TCP/IP) protocol (since
this would be an alternative to #4)?

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated! Sincerely,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer, multimedia sculptor,
programmer, webmaster & computer consultant
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
"To be is to do" - Socrates
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Sinatra