Re: [linux-audio-dev] Needing advice on implementing MIDI in my app (RTMix)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Needing advice on implementing MIDI in my app (RTMix)
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 11:34:12 EEST

Hi,
Ivica Bukvic hat gesagt: // Ivica Bukvic wrote:

> 4) Is there a way to send MIDI data in such a way that it is perceived
> by other app on the system (i.e. like sending a midi signal through
> midi-out which is via cable connected to midi-in on the same machine,
> except without doing so physically)? If so, how? If not, what are the
> alternatives (other than above-mentioned physical solution)?

You could use virtual midi cards (snd-virmidi) in ALSA or the v_midi
module of OSS/Free. For a description of the ALSA solution see my
Sequencers and Softsynths quicktoot at http://www.djcj.org/LAU/quicktoots/
or chapter 3 (?) in the Linux MIDI Howto (the same without pictures)

You could also use the ALSA sequencer API directly but I think, this
might be overkill for an app, that doesn't really "sequence".

For code examples, I remember that the portaudio guys were working on
a portmidi equivalent, but I don't know, how far that has come.

> 5) Finally, this may be a bit far-fetched question, but here it goes
> anyhow: does anyone know if Pd and other applications like it are able
> to receive simple numeric messages via network (TCP/IP) protocol (since
> this would be an alternative to #4)?

Paul mentioned OSC, and that is supported by Pd (see the fresh Pd-CVS
at pure-data.sourceforge.net) and a lot of other apps. In the case of
Pd you could also use the netreceive/netsend objects to talk to Pd
over TCP or UDP. You might use telnet as a client or the
pdsend/pdreceive command line clients or whatever.

ciao