Re: [linux-audio-dev] Announcing initial release of FreqTweak

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Announcing initial release of FreqTweak
From: Joshua Haberman (joshua_AT_haberman.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 01:20:34 EEST

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:49:12 -0400 (EDT)
"Jesse Chappell" <jesse_AT_essej.net> wrote:
> > My question is this: how modular is the audio code (i.e. is it
> > possible to support different audio targets at the makefile level)? It is,
> > as you likely know, fairly easy to port between various
> > callback-based libraries, and I'd be interested in taking a crack at making a
> > CoreAudio port for OS X. (Since there is a wxWindows port for OS X, the
> > "hard part" is not so hard. :-)
>
> It should be pretty easy... I planned to support alternate I/O subsytems, it
> should just be a matter of subclassing FTioSupport ( as FTjackSupport is) and
> implementing it. Hah! Wouldn't we be so lucky :)

An even better solution for the long-term would be to use PortAudio
(www.portaudio.com), which will give you Windows, ALSA, JACK, OSS, CoreAudio,
ASIO, and more. Basically it would be like your current strategy, except all
the subclasses have already been written and tested for you! :-)

The current stable release doesn't support JACK or ALSA, but the development
branch does (I can speak for these since I wrote them :-). So I wouldn't
suggest moving to PortAudio right now since JACK support is a priority for you,
but you may want to consider it for the long-term.

Josh

--
"Only Angels can sing that high, and only dogs can hear it."  -- James Evans