[linux-audio-dev] more 2.5 experiences

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] more 2.5 experiences
From: Bob Ham (node_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 00:58:29 EEST

Hi all,

I've been running 2.5 for about a week now without any troubles. I did try
2.5.39, but it didn't want to stay up for more than 10 minutes. 41 and 42
have been solid (and that's with all the usual whizbang usb, bttv, etc, stuff
as well.)

Overall, imho, 2.5 seemed less responsive than the 2.4.19 kernel that I'm
coming from. The mouse cursor sticks on the screen under load, and I had to
increase the buffer size in sweep because it was dropping out like nobody's
business. But then I gave 2.5.42-mm3 a whirl, and it seems to be
considerably more responsive, and sweep drops out much less.

I've done some latency tests as well:

http://pkl.net/~node/lad/latency-tests/

The machine is an athlon 1.4GHz, 512MB ram, xfs fs, sblive sound card,
matrox g550 graphics card.

There's quite(!) a descrepency between Joern's and my X11 performance. This
makes me wonder 2 things: what card are you using Joern?, and what (if
anything) can be done to make the X11 performance less ludicrously bad?
The 2.4.19 benchmarks in there are probably bad due to the fact that it's
xfs+lowlatency, but apparently there's ways to do that properly which I
didn't do. Other than that, fairly dry benchmarks; just showing slightly
better performance with each patch.

Bob